WORLD OF DIFFERENCE

KENYA 2013
Words cannot express how incredibly grateful I am that I had the opportunity to go to Africa.  It was kind of a last minute thing, seeing as the majority of the team had been preparing to go for most of this past year, but it was amazing nonetheless.  I went with the organization World of Difference, a group that travels to Kenya every year, prepared to make a world of difference by improving schools, whether it is rebuilding or fixing up.  This year was a little different than usual being that half of our group consisted of physical therapy students from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions.  While part of our team spent our time working on the worksite of the new school, the Physical Therapy students went on clinical rotations in a few of the local hospitals in Nairobi, Kenya.  I was part of the worksite group, and let me tell you it was one of the best things I have ever done.
It is kind of hard to explain Kenya to someone who has never been there before, we all have this image of what we think Africa is like.  While a lot of it is true, the animals, the "lion king" landscape, and the poverty... all you really need to know is that the people are incredible.  I never once saw a mad person or encountered a rude person.  The people have the biggest hearts and the warmest smiles of any group of people I have ever come across.  At times I felt guilty, guilty for living in the United States and having the opportunities that I have.  Even now after being home for a few days, I have been struggling with why I am so blessed to live in such a place and to be surrounded with immense opportunity.  As I look through my pictures at these beautiful people, I have to continue reminding myself that Heavenly Father has a plan for each and every one of us and although it seems that the trials some people go through are a lot more difficult than others, ALL of us make an IMPORTANT contribution in Heavenly Fathers eternal plan no matter what our circumstances are.  I will be forever grateful for the time I spent in Kenya.
uafla 
We were off to a great start running into Elder Cook,
Elder Callister, and their wives at the Salt Lake airport!  They 
were headed to South America on church business.
This is the worksite of the new school, located just
outside Nairobi in Embakasi.
Shelly and I COVERED in cement. 
Can you believe how fast that school went up considering
how we were building it? Kenyans are some of the hardest
workers I have ever seen and it was so inspiring to work
alongside them!

These are some of the locals that we worked with.
They were so excited to have Mzungu's (white people)
working with them.  Some of them said that they have
never seen white people work, especially white women.
Arriving on the worksite everyday was THE best thing
ever.  The kids would be waiting for us and as we got off 
the vans they would be calling our names, giving us 
high fives, and hugging us.  It was like we were movie 
stars or something haha!  Saying goodbye was so hard.
This is Leon.  Tell me that is not the cutest face you
have ever seen?? Every time he saw someone from
our team he would come right up to us and reach for
us to pick him up. MELT MY HEART.
Susan. She is the sweetest little girl possibly EVER.
Before we left she gave me this fanta pencil case and 
said "something to remember me by." There is no way 
that I would forget her even without that pencil case.  She 
has the biggest heart and seriously isn't she beautiful? 
(don't mind the photo bomber in the corner haha)

These are some of the books that we brought over for the school.  Each of us brought two service bags filled with books, blankets, hygiene kits, and medical supplies.  When we got to Kenya we laid out all of the supplies in a room to sort them and it was amazing to see how much stuff we brought!!


These are some of the kids from the school we rebuilt.
They sang and danced for us to thank us for improving
their school.  It was amazing.  Those kids are so talented.

(Shelly, Peter, Kenzie)



Rose (on the right) and Faith (on the left) are two of my favorites.  So sweet and so beautiful. 
LOVE these kids.  Shelly and I met them our first
day in Kenya.  We were wandering around the grounds
of the Amani center where we stayed and saw them 
dancing.  They were so excited to see us and were especially excited 
when we asked to take pictures and video of them dancing.











This is Shelly and I in our bed nets! It seems like they would be super annoying
 to sleep with, but you get used to them. haha Neither of us got any bug bites.


These pictures were taken at one of the orphanages we visited.  Ranger (on the left) is holding a huge pile of flip flops that one of their friends made for us to bring.  The kids loved them.
This is Jimmy.  WE LOVE JIMMY.  He has THE
best smile and is so fun to be around.  Jimmy is so 
talented, he does art and he also made us some bracelets.
These are a few pictures that we took our last day at church.  
Jodi and Ranger are absolutely amazing.  They have been
coming to Kenya for years now and they are so selfless 
and giving.  I loved getting to know them and am so
grateful that I was able to go with them.  They are incredible.
Shelly and I with Isaac's family.
The church crew
(George)

I love these people. Jimmy, Charles and Jacob are so amazing and I am so glad that we got to spend so much time together.  They are all students at universities in Kenya.  Oh and all of them are HILARIOUS, we spent a lot of time laughing haha.  LOVE these dudes.




(Samuel, Miriam <3)
(Miriams mom and sisters)




       (Justus)
(Shelly, Susan, Miriam)
(Dr Walker and Bryant playing with the kids)


(Japeth)
(Charles, Jodi, Jimmy)
(Jane on the left, James on the right)                                            
(Susan and Sylvia)
(Joy)

SAFARI TIME











Our bruised arms from the worksite.  That's what 
moving 100's of buckets of dirt does to you! haha
I am so glad that I got to go with Shelly.  She is 
incredible.  I am grateful for her example and 
that we have gotten to be such good friends.
I LOVE YOU SHELLY.
(Kenzie)

(Albert)
These are a few pictures of the Masai women.  We were able to visit a Masai village when we went to the Masai Mara.  It was cool to see how they live and how they use their resources.  On the Safari we saw giraffes, lions, cheetahs, wildebeests, hippos, zebras and monkeys!



We don't know why but every chance we got we would get a coke.  For some reason it tasted so good! Maybe since we are so used to a sugary diet back home. haha


Our good ol' pal Brent Hunsaker. It was fun to have
him with us even if he did make me do an interview! haha



I LOVE KENYA

Feel free to watch a sneak preview of our Africa experience!
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/state/story/Utah-volunteers-building-schoolhouse-in-Kenya/dS75EFcKy0m-8ch7JgBp8Q.cspx
The rest will be broadcasted on channel 4 news September 23-27 @ 4, 5 and 10!!



Comments

  1. Melt my heart! You are amazing!! And thanks for not posting hippo pics :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment